A place to roleplay in the Last Res0rt RPG

Jump into the world of Last Res0rt, just be careful where you land...or what you land as...

Roleplay Forum

Forum Home > Q&A > Trust vs Convenience

Sharpshot4321

One of the issues I see with doing an RPG over the forum is how Dice Rolling is handled. As the game is not handled at the same time for everyone people can fudge their rolls and nobody would be the wiser. Perfect trust is required between all players for everyone to handle their own rolls. While this doesn't seem bad, remember that its hard to accept that your character just got her brains blown out by an Efreet cause you rolled a 1 at the wrong time.

A given during any game is that the players MUST trust their GM, if they don't the game will fall apart very easily to fighting between the GM and Players. As all players trust their GM, the GM can do dice rolls and nobody should argue. This means that during critical moments (such as battles or lethal moments, aka acid trap of fun) the GM could handle the rolls of everyone and post the results. Or the GM could handle the rolls of everyone throughout the entire game.

The downside to this is the extra work it puts on the GM, he must handle the rolls for every person in the game, as well as being one of the most active persons in the group or the game will slow to a snails pace at all times.

Another answer would be to add a Random Die Generator, RDG, that can be used in the forum and will show at the bottom of the post of someone who wanted to use it.The RDG would not show the number until the post is posted. The downside to this is that once the RDG is used, the post cannot be edited, or the person could simply change what they were doing when they got the low number.

September 23, 2010 at 9:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

nikolai60
Site Owner

This is an excellent point, and I am working on it. Unfortunatly it seems as though the nature of the test site system is going to prevent the random dice roller, so for now the GMs are going to have to handle rolls. GMs do lots of rolls themselves in normal games anyways to avoid 'munchkins', so it's not that large of a departure.

A  RDG is gonna come in at some point, most likely intigrated with the chatroom when it finally comes online.

September 23, 2010 at 11:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Inumo

OpenRPG can do chat/dice rolls too, as can MapTools, though both are a bit over-kill since we don't really need the tac-maps.

September 24, 2010 at 9:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sharpshot4321

Yes, but with our small playerbase currently people are more worried about timezones and schedules, so this was to find solutions for our forum.

September 24, 2010 at 10:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Inumo

If we do it entirely over the forum, though, then why would we need the chat room? From where I stand (which, admittedly, is kinda low on the experience scale), it looks like it'd be easiest to use the forum to schedule game sessions, then use some other program, such as a virtual tabletop or separate chat room, to play the sessions out.

September 26, 2010 at 2:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sharpshot4321

The thing is that we currently have 5 members here total, just 5. We have to work with whoever is here, and our time schedules can be so completely conflicting that the only time we might be able to get together is on some of the few worldwide holidays. This is an extreme example but the point remains that until someone volunteers to be a GM we have no idea if getting the 5 of us together at the same time is even feasible.

September 26, 2010 at 4:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Inumo

As I said in the other thread, I'm willing to be GM, and can easily come up with a scenario to play through. Do you want me to start a thread to cement this fact and begin scheduling to find out how our members' schedules match up? I'm gonna assume that each session should take about 4 hours, though there's probably gonna be a lot more getting done since Last Res0rt is a rather rules-light system.

September 26, 2010 at 8:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sharpshot4321

Do please. :D

Im eager to play either over some IRC, the forums, or just plain sending out smoke signals if I have to.

September 27, 2010 at 1:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sulucamas

WORD, Sharpshot4321!

I should have said this a while ago, but Inumo, you have my full support, especially since you're volunteering!  Post away, and I'll follow.

September 28, 2010 at 11:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.