A place to roleplay in the Last Res0rt RPG

Jump into the world of Last Res0rt, just be careful where you land...or what you land as...

Roleplay Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Discussion, Feedback, and Ideas

Sharpshot4321

This thread is for the discussion, feedback, and new idea's on Game Mechanics. I hope to use this thread for a verity of mechanics, rather then having a thread for each one. However, depending on the activity here that might change. (That's a good thing, more activity is better :P)

Let's start with something absolutely necessary, and yet largely tacked on by your's truly.

Leveling Systems

Currently, we use the system we use for leveling is a "over time" method, where doing training over the interludes increases stats. The current formula is

Total stats/10(down) + Training stat/2(down) = Days needed to train

Total stats (All stats combined, divided by 10 then rounded down.) This added from the start as a balancing between strong players and weak ones. The more stats a person has, the stronger they are, and the longer it takes for them to train each stat.

Training stat (The stat that is to be trained, divided by 2 then rounded down.) This was just a simple addition to make training a single stat to the highest points harder, while making training a weak stat easier.

Days needed to be trained. This is simply the number of in-game days it takes to advance the training stat by 1 point.

As an additional rule, when the training for a stat is halted, and another stat is trained. Every time the training for a stat is finished, and existing stats that have days trained on lose one day of training.

The system for stats is (In my mind) solid enough. It gives a very straightforward goal to people to advanced toward. It is balanced between high stat players and low stat players, and is simple to understand.

However this is a thread for discussion, so its all about weighing pros vs cons. This system gears people toward "well rounded" characters, due to the fact it is easier to train low stats. It has no connection to how well a player does in-game. The group could literally do nothing for weeks training under this system and come out just as strong as a group who goes out regularly and gets battered, torn, and hurt by the hostilities of the worlds.

Skills leveling(Skills themselves will be put up here. How fast depends on the activity.)

The current formula for skills runs differently then stats, as it is written in the formula the difference of having a teacher. Skills also have a set number of days till a skill is learned, rather then being based on how a person is.

List of Skill levels and days needed to obtain
Beginner = 15 days
Average = 25 days
Good = 30 days
Expert = 40 days

Training without a teacher

Wisdom check/4(down) + days training

Training with a teacher

Wisdom check/3(down) + Teacher's Communication check/2(down) + days training

I really need feedback for this, with skills being so new I'm not sure how you guys handle them. There are some obvious flaws I would like to address. Should I combine the two formulas into a simpler one where not having a teacher just means missing a bonus? Should the time to learn a skill level be set like it is or be based on the person?
There is currently a flaw with this system. Should the wisdom bonus (And possibly the teacher's comm bonus) be reapplied if a person returns to training the skill after stopping for a different skill? Should skill training be considered part of or seperate from stat training? (Like you can't train skill and stats at the same time if they are together. The rule about losing a day when completing a different stat would mean losing a day in skill training as well.)

Here is a different formula for skill training I just thought up, thoughts?

Days * Wisdom/10(down to .1) * T's Communication/5(down to .1)(if no teach, .6)

(down to .1 means rounding the divided stat down to the tenth decimal)
(if no teach, .6 means if no teacher then the T's comm is automatically 3, which when rounded down is .6)

--

By the code I shall serve you.
Your choices are my choices
Your morals are my morals.
Your wishes are my goals,
and your desires, my dreams.
This, I swear to you.

May 8, 2011 at 3:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sharpshot4321

Seriously guys, please respond here.

--

This, I swear to you.

May 14, 2011 at 3:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sulucamas

On the whole, I like the system you're using, because it seems like it works.  I do have some more thoughtful comments, though, so here are a few off the top of my head (x_x):

-I think you should be able to train an Skill and a Stat, if the two have some kind of rational overlap.  This might be short-sighted, but it seems like it'd make a little sense.  Or maybe it should just work as you had proposed previously, that reaching a certainly level with a skill will yield stat bonuses (like Lord of the Dance getting +1 Agility).

-Could you elaborate a bit on the new system you just thought up at the end there?  If that equation plays out under normal circumstances, we're talking about fractions of days.  Is that...for calculating how many days of experience you earn, or how much the next skill level's day requirement is reduced by?  (sorry if I'm not making much sense.  I've put off replying long enough! :P )

-Bonuses for skill training sound like a good incentive to have, rather than a penalty.

-Is there a formal system in place for getting instruction for Stats?  That would be kinda neat.

I'll give better feedback and discussion in the future, I promise! XP

--

Calyx:  "Welcome to the PARTY!"

May 18, 2011 at 6:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

e_voyager

it does seem workable but it doesn't really tell about the material your using. Weight verse  push ups for example.

Push ups a body’s own weight x Gravity against them for building force. there are three kinds that i'm aware of full http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIkyPZnppv0&feature=related bent at the knees http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yxIN1EUcSg and vertical. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfwXR-4Vq6overtical are by far the most difficult as they require you to basically balance your entire weight on your hands while going thought the elbow bending and straiting motions. All of these have different impacts on how you build your force.

Now lets look at  weight lifting.  You have a full ranges of excises to choose from but lets use bench pressing for and example. You have the standard bench press and vertical bench press.  The main factor is that using weighs you can light weight beyond your physical mass for building force with less reputation is called for. You can weight 210 and still bench 350 or so something that vertical push ups don’t give you. But bench pressing doesn't work on your balance and other factors that push ups require you to master(or at least become competent in if your doing vertical). They both can be used to build force and possible stamina as well but I don’t what the stamina stat would be. Probably hardiness.

I also have to second the question about getting training. i can see how a good communication stat can help you convinces someone to train you but what do they receive in return? this universe is not full of altruists form what our characters have seen.  who ever apprentice's our characters will likely want something in return. commitments will be made but how to we go about keeping them? character alignment does not seem to be part of this game so that bullet is dogged meaning that you abilities are based on if you call yourself good, evil, or natural but on how much hard work you put into them and what you have to work with

--

"I would rip out my soul to know the truth of the universe" Vlad Ellis

"All humans are an imitation of apes. All gods are an imitation of humans" Zangetsu

"this world is not my own but how i wish that i could belong" e voyager

"The Bird of hermes is my name. Eating my wings to keep me tame." Alucard's coffin. the key to zero release when spoken.

May 18, 2011 at 8:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sharpshot4321

Sulucamas at May 18, 2011 at 6:40 PM

On the whole, I like the system you're using, because it seems like it works.  I do have some more thoughtful comments, though, so here are a few off the top of my head (x_x):

-I think you should be able to train an Skill and a Stat, if the two have some kind of rational overlap.  This might be short-sighted, but it seems like it'd make a little sense.  Or maybe it should just work as you had proposed previously, that reaching a certainly level with a skill will yield stat bonuses (like Lord of the Dance getting +1 Agility).

-Could you elaborate a bit on the new system you just thought up at the end there?  If that equation plays out under normal circumstances, we're talking about fractions of days.  Is that...for calculating how many days of experience you earn, or how much the next skill level's day requirement is reduced by?  (sorry if I'm not making much sense.  I've put off replying long enough! :P )

-Bonuses for skill training sound like a good incentive to have, rather than a penalty.

-Is there a formal system in place for getting instruction for Stats?  That would be kinda neat.

I'll give better feedback and discussion in the future, I promise! XP

I make it so that you need to choose between training a skill or training a stat for two reasons.
-First so that a person cannot become to powerful. While it is obvious in stats that you become more powerful, I don't think you guys have realized that skills make you very powerful in certain ways.
-Second is because things like rational overlap is largely opinionated. Take a skill like Metalworking. A skill that is about the manipulation and acquisition of all types of metals. One could argue that its an Intelligance based skill, because your memorizing where metals are located generally, what properties they have, and techniques to mold them. Its also a Wisdom skill because your figuring out how to shape a metal with each unique flaw and imperfection it has. It can also be a Finesse as you use you hands to shape the metal. Also counts has Health and Hardiness because when working with such things your bound to have repeated injuries such as burns and bruising.

I gave stat bonuses to skills that I thought were overall underpowered. More often then not most skills don't give bonuses.

Let me put up an example and see if that clears up confusion.
Mike wants to get the skill Small Arms. He dosn't have the skill so he will be trying to get Beginner level in Small Arms, which is 15 days of training.
Mike has a Wisdom of 7.
If Mike tried to train without a teacher here is how the calculations would look.
(7/10) * .6(Default no teacher) * Days
.42 * Days
This means that without a teacher, Mike will learn at a rate slow enough that for every in-game day he trains, he only gets .42 of a days worth of training. (Because I round down during training, this means Mike needs to train for atleast 3 days (1.26) to qualify for 1 day of training toward Beginner Small Arms. He then requires 5 ingame days (2.10) to qualify for 2 days toward his goal)
Lets try with a teacher. Teacher has a comm of 6.
(7/10) * (6/5) * Days
.84 * Days
With a Teacher, Mike gets .84 of a days worth of training per in-game day. (This also means he only needs 2 in-game days (1.68 ) to qualify for 1 day of training toward Beginner Small Arms. He then requires only 3 in-game days (2.52) to qualify for 2 days toward his goal.)

Bonuses to stats is currently on a "How I feel about it" bases. I really should nail down a more solid system however for things like that. Things like training under a teacher and using better methods for training stats normally means I give you and extra day or 2 on top of your normal 7 days. (which means you get 8 or 9 days of training out of 7 in-game days.)

--

This, I swear to you.

June 24, 2011 at 12:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sulucamas

All fair points! :)

My only comments lie with the way that fractions of days worth of training are assigned.  It makes sense learning a skill by yourself should take a while.  However, I feel like the fractions here are crazy-small, especially considering the large time commitment needed to just reach Beginner Level.  ( Skill training already takes a while! )  This might just be a matter of adjusting my expectations relative to the day-requirements you set for each Skill Level, though.

Having someone train you in something should be a valuable occurance, not necessarily the lesser of two ( seemingly) crummy options.  This might be remedied somewhat if you weren't "penalized" for having a sub-max Wisdom.  The Instructor's contribution seems to be determined by comparing their ability to teach ( Communication ) to the average of 5.  If the Student's contribution to the process was assessed in a similar ( and sensible :P ) way, the fractions of days worth of training would be less ridiculously small.

Hell, if someone had a high or maxed Wisdom, that would then become a tremendous asset, though not unfairly so.  It would merely allow them to fully realize the benefits of having a wise character.  That stat is even gated away behind the Intelligence stat, so if you manage to put in the time to have above-average Wisdom, you should be able to benefit from it.

--

Calyx:  "Welcome to the PARTY!"

June 29, 2011 at 3:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sharpshot4321

Hmm I can reduce the modifiers. I tend to think of games taking months, so I sorta put them in that. Good point, will think it over.

--

This, I swear to you.

July 3, 2011 at 4:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The_Rippy_One

Well - Okay, assumptive comic examination:

Assuming that most of the players in LR (having previous combat experience) are raising combat oriented stats and skills, cause, well, survival is good, have all had enough time to raise one or two stats, and/or a skill, over the course of the month that the game has been played for, with two relatively short breaks for training.

Jigsaw, between her initially low stats in combat, and an additional break at Gabe's, probably has managed all three. Does that seem like the sort of time frame you were looking for?

I'd almost want to toss a note in that GMs can mod the modifiers to reflect the overall length of a game, and the relative required improvement of the characters, and maybe a table of suggestions. If a team is intended to be able to handle the threat posed "as is,"  long duration training still is preferrable. If you want to cross into an anime style story, where, over the course of a month, the ten year olds team-up and go from raw recruits to slayers of dark gods...that's rather different (And also, the heck kind of game you running?! Go use CoC original).

November 1, 2012 at 8:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The_Rippy_One

ps-I'm assuming that LR station has some competent level of training areas and tutors by smartframe...

Also! Use either the teacher's comm skill, or the the teacher's skill being taught, which ever is lower. It's equally hard to teach if you can't explain, as when you have no idea what you are doing...

--

I'm wrong! So very wrong! But, perhaps, not entirely incorrect...

November 1, 2012 at 9:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sharpshot4321

Well, for starters this is just a RPG tabletop style game. The Comic and its location/players are probably avoided ingame topics/place, as info said previously might be proven wrong by new comic release. Nothing we do here affects or is directly affected by specific characters or the LR station. With the exception being new standards for races or technology that was previously an unknown.

Secondly, this thread and everything mentioned here is over a year old. I am no longer the GM, and we have an entirely different system for leveling and whatever else is in here. The new system is here:

http://lastres0rtroleplay.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7230357-rules-and-balances-committee-meetings?page=1

but we no longer meet often. Its currently just the game atm. There is also some up in the air systems here:

http://lastres0rtroleplay.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7835837-rules-discussion?page=last

--

This, I swear to you.

November 10, 2012 at 5:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.