A place to roleplay in the Last Res0rt RPG

Jump into the world of Last Res0rt, just be careful where you land...or what you land as...

Roleplay Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Inspired writing.

Sharpshot4321

Hey all, I got struck by the inspiration fairy and wrote this up suddenly. I could have left it to linger in my small story area, but though you all might enjoy the quick read.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trying to pull in another breath he stopped halfway to cough and gasp. He had broken ribs, and each half breath he could manage caused so much pain. Again, pulling in air only made him wretch to the side from the wall he proped himself up against. Another explosion went off as more masonry and dust showered him from the ceiling, which continued to fall.  Still gasping he watched as the wall across the room from him fell outwards to reveal hungry flames and smoke.

From these fires came out a figure. Cloaked in black, heavy clothing depite the heat of the flames. He looked down as the figure walked towards him, only to see his legs smashed and torn. A sight that assured him he would never walk again even if he lived. He looked up as the figure stood over him. Clad in the heavy black robes, standing as if it was removed from the world around it. Even now with fire raging and smoke billowing. With masonry falling everywhere and nothing but chaos all around it stood there, calm. He tried again to look into the hood and see it's face, but it was still a sea of darkness dispite the light from all the fires.

"A deal was struck." it said in it's distorted voice. He hated that voice. He hated that black cloak, that dark hood, that calm figure. He hated whatever this thing was. Before he had thought he had lost everything, that he had nothing. Then he met this thing, and then he learned what it truely means to lose everything. The fires it had walked out of were gone, replaced with a dark haze. He could barely see the walls or floor as they swirled and twisted in his vision. Everything was going dark and the pain was immense, but still the figure remained clear as it stood over him, detached even from his dying moments.

"A price was paid." it said now, the world having gone completely dark except for the figure. All this, this pain, this suffering, this death, and he came only to fufill a bargin it had made with him. "Name your desire." it said. Desire... what could he even ask for now? Life? He had lost everything now, truely this time. Life has no appeal, and looking at this thing only filled him with rage, and sadness. Rage, rage at the things he had done for this deal. Rage at the people he had murdered to accomplish this. Rage at himself for even doing this, and sadness. Sadness at all the people he had hurt. Sadness at the suffering his wake had caused to so many because of this deal. When he looked at this thing, only one desire came to mind.

"I want you to stop hidding. To reveal yourself to all the people and lives you play with. Never again can you hide who you are to these people. Never can you let them speak, without them knowing who they speak to." Every breath was more painful then the last, but he had managed to say it all. The words had just flowed from his lips. "It is done." The thing said, but it was different. The distortion was gone, it's voice was clear. The figure reached up and pulled back its hood, to reveal a boy... no, a young man, with white hair and a untouched face. How, how could such pain and suffering he had gone through be caused by someone like this?! He tried to speak, but words wouldn't flow from his lips anymore. The dark world was crushing around him and even his thoughts scattered and muddled, but before the darkness engulfed him, he recognized one thing.

The boy looked sad.

--

By the code I shall serve you.
Your choices are my choices
Your morals are my morals.
Your wishes are my goals,
and your desires, my dreams.
This, I swear to you.

March 30, 2012 at 6:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sulucamas

Most enjoyable; thank you!  I really liked the imagery and flow, especially in the beginning.  Quality stuff. :)

Now excuse me while I shed a tear and play the world's smallest violin for the hooded character, especially if they're who I believe them to be. ;)

--

Calyx:  "Welcome to the PARTY!"

April 1, 2012 at 4:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sharpshot4321

I was cowering next to him, while the late night rain poured downwards into the freshly turned dirt, causing it to become a dark soup. I could hear the thunderous booms, so different from the natural thunder in the clouds above. No, these booms hammered the small hill we camped on, mixed with the bullets that filled the night sky. He shouted something to everyone, but I could only half hear him though the thunderous blast as a artillery shot struck all too close again.

How old was I again? So easy to lose count out here in the sea of warfare and death. I can still remember it, barely. My home town, so peaceful. The image of my parents nothing but a blur as I ran through fields of wheat so much taller then me. I can still see those fields burning. The blurred image of my parents as they lay still amongst the wheat. 12... I am 12 now. No, 13. Winter was to arrive soon, so I must be 13 now. A bullet splattered the small ditch I crouched in, showering me in more mud and a taste I knew was blood, but wouldn't dare linger on that thought.

I looked up at the man who had dragged me from those burning fields. From the memory that lingered as little more then fire and pain in my nightmares. He was yelling at the people nearby again, taking the chance to fire his gun over the ditch and quickly ducked again as more bullets and thunder and rain showered the hill. He had saved me, and kept me safe. Both from the men who even now tried to kill us, and the unbearable pain of burning wheat. He taught me to fight, to shoot, to survive. I used to think he taught me because he needed another soldier with a gun, but now I am not so sure, for he taught me hardest when the nightmares were greatest. He gripped his old gun tightly as he commanded the man next to me to go and get ammo. The man quickly began crawling down the ditch, grabbing ammo from the many men who lie dead in the mud.

I turned my eyes away from the man whom I could only see as a carrion, feasting on a carcass. I focused again at his old gun. A... M1 something. Ancient, but he still used it well. He looked down at me. I don't know if he could tell, through the rain, but I was crying. He must have noticed, because he put his hand on my shoulder and said "It will be alright.", but then... he fell over. A dark red flowing from him, mixing with the mud.

And all I could do was scream.

--

This, I swear to you.

April 30, 2012 at 11:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sharpshot4321

I stood near the middle of a small domed room. Its walls lined with a rich dark blue colored cloth. I edged over again, trying to move away from the dozen or so children standing here with me. Each of them looked to have come from a different form of tragedy. A girl whom was so young stood scared in her decent looking clothing. The bandage on her arm the only marker of the accident she survived. An older boy looked scrawny and ratty, even the forced showers couldn't get all the dirt from his nails, or the hunger from his eyes. I can only guess he tried to survive on his own for a while. The third boy stuck out from the others with his built yet small body, a result of carefully planned Mal-nurishment and forced physical labor. Third was a rescued slave. Twins whom looked out of place, wandered from their family just before a raid. Another girl, heavy bandaged head and amnesia. A new tragedy for every body.

I itched at my shoulder, they said they removed the bullet from it but it still itched and I could still remember the pain as if it was still burning me. My uniform, cleaned of the mud and blood, was the only thing they let me keep. We all stood, lost and alone.

A man entered the room, and I recognized him as the head of this orphanage. He moved slowly towards, mentioning something about us quieting down. None of us had said anything the entire time we were in this room. Once he worked his was in front of us, he stood up straighter, coughed, then started his speech.

"This is an era, of wonder, and exploration. We as a species have begun to spread amongst the stars and suns. We live in a world where there are no bounds to possibilities, but such wonder carries a cost, and not all possibilities have good outcomes. Today I gather you here whom have personally suffered this cost. Accidents, Raiders, Malfunctions, and even War has brought you all here. I will not ask that you forget where you have come from, but I will ask that you keep yourself open to the future. For while your tragedy has taken so much from you, even your family's name, things will never get better if you do not look forward. So in the interest of providing each of you a future, I welcome all of you to my orphanage and give you the family name of 'Star'. May you overcome you beginnings, and make a future as bright as your new name."

--

This, I swear to you.

May 1, 2012 at 11:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sulucamas

A hero and a villain, you say? :o

--

May 2, 2012 at 4:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sharpshot4321

I stretched out as I walked into the morning sunlight. The clear sky and slight wind brought a smile to my lips. Today feels like a good day. Looking around the small depression that we all lived in showed the few other families here were also starting their morning routines. Gelivan was readying supplies while his boy jumped up and down next to him, excited to join his father in the hunt today. I waved at them both and they smiled back. A steady clinking and clanking from a cave told me that the Lilith and her husband had started chipping away at the red stone that composed the entire mountain we lived on. Their steady efforts to expand their cave for their soon to arrive child helped bring joy to the village in these stressful times.

Finding food was getting harder and harder. Herds that normally roamed the mountains had dwindled alarmingly in the last few weeks, and for the first time in almost 200 years the people of our village have been forced to hunt close to the neighboring towns at the base of the mountain. Towns which we as a community actively avoid.

I pulled my thoughts out of the lack of food and started to focus on my own need for it. Picking up what supplies I would need for today's hunt from the edge of my home, I started to head out of the village. "Fiona? Heading out again today?" Lilith called out to me. She was standing next to our little watering hole, filling a bucket. I waved back, "Yeah, I only have so many hours in a day. If I find a way to preserve meat while hunting it at the same time you will be the first to know!" She smiled at me, picking up the now full bucket with care. Her loose clothing hiding how far along she was but the careful movement to protect her midriff giving her away. She said "Just be careful out there. I heard from Gelivan that the Nulk are hunting in the day now." "Really?" I said, a wave of concern and fear washing over me. Nulk were very nocturnal hunters, and to hear that they were out in the daylight means the local herds were dangerously low, or completely wiped out. "Don't worry too much," she said to me. "If you can't find any food we will give you some. Goodness knows the others give us enough to help with the baby." Her hand held her belly gently, and we exchanged a smiles again. "Thank you, but I think I try to gather berries today then." I replied. She grimaced and I couldn't blame her, the berries on the mountain were extreamly bitter and often didn't settle in one's stomach kindly. It was a meal of desperation, but it was still a meal. We chatted for a bit longer before her husband called out for the water, and I bade her farewell. I dashed off out of our little depression and started carefully climbing lower down the mountain.

Keeping an eye out for any herds I started to collect berries from the hardy plants that grew here. I tried to pick fuller and lighter colored one, but I was not the first to come after the berries in hunger. Most of what I found were dark and dried berries that were sure to give me difficulty all night. I gathered them anyway, frowning every time I put another small handful into my pouch. BANG! I jumped and scrambled to hide behind a small outcropping of rocks. An mining explosive? No, too quiet. BANG! I realized the firing of a gun came from above me and looked up. Gasping and ducking behind my outcropping as I saw a Nulk falling rapidly down towards me. Its midnight black chitin splattered and cracked as it hit the ledge I was on, bounced, and went over the edge to continue its fall. A roar sounded overhead, and the bottom of my stomach fell away. That was not a Nulk hunter. Whoever was up there had run into one of the few male Blood Lords. I wanted to run. Even in broad daylight where I could clearly see it a Blood Lord would tear me limb from limb. Another Nulk hunter slammed into the ledge I was on, this one failing to reach the edge. I stared down at its mangled carcass and could only see Gelivan or his boy falling down next. Gritting my teeth, I started climbing upwards.

--

This, I swear to you.

May 4, 2012 at 2:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sharpshot4321

I gasped as my foot sunk suddenly into another hole in the sand. This planet was miserable and everything about it made sure to make everyone on it miserable. Yanking my foot out of the blistering sands again I could only curse at everything. Stuck in the desert with no civilization for miles in any direction, small sinkholes every other mile to fall into, and sand that SOMEHOW manages to get into my suit. MY AIRTIGHT SUIT! how is that even possible? I lick my cracked lips and continue to trudge onwards. Small constant insertions of nutrients and hydration chemicals might keep me alive without eating or drinking, but that doesn't stop my stomach from complaining, or the fact that this desert has already drained me of all my hydration. A three week supply gone in a third that time. That damn glaring sun continued to beat down on my back, and I continued to trude forward.

It wasn't until the sun was starting to set before I had reached the town, nestled at the bottom of a giant red mountain. Herd animals wondered in the pens and were always close to the troughs that was the only food and water they could get, and the few townsfolk who weren't slowly drifting out of the mines were ending their chores in the shade and coming out to tend the herds. I stopped a few of the townsfolk and inquired after a man. All of them pointed me to a run down tavern sitting between the town homes and the mine. To my surprise my skin prickled slightly as I walked into the tavern. The open doorway and empty windows not enough to keep the bar, for that was what this place really was, this cool. I began looking slowly around the room, between the tired miner and the drunk ones I could see small hints here and there. Despite how well hidden it was this bar was probably the most advanced building in the entire town.

I took a deep breath, pulling the cool air into my lungs before shambling over to the bar and sitting on one of the open stools. The barkeep, a short man with dark hair and muddy brown eyes moves over to me. "What can I git ya stranger." he said. His accent was common for the planet, but to me only served as to reinforce the backwater wasteland stereotype that the whole planet seemed to fallow. "Water." I said in a low horse voice. My cracked lips stinging from slight movement. The Barkeep reaches under the counter for a moment and pulls up a glass of crystal clear water, even had some damn ice in it. The glass barely left his hand before it was against my lips, pouring the wonderful liquids down my throat. I held the last of the cool water in my mouth for a moment, staring up at the ceiling as I savored the feeling after walking for so long in the blazing sun. I swallowed and looked back down at the Barkeep, who was waiting patiently. "So what brings a fellow like you round these parts? Ya could have taken a convoy if ya was lookin to get here without almost killin yerself." He was noisy for a Barkeep. "Convoy wasn't due to leave till tomorrow. As you can see, I got here first." I said to the man. He raised an eyebrow at me, but continued to stand there patiently, so I went on. "I'm here for the bounty. Some creature needs to be killed and I am suppose to check in with the town owner first..." I look around the room, spotting groups of people. There were some who looked like leaders of their own little packs, but none held a stand of someone who led a town. None, except for the Barkeep. "Which I am guessing is you?" I turned back around to look at the Barkeep, who was smiling now. "You would be right, stranger. Most new folk always assume old Rin over there is the town mayor." He points over to a large man who had a couple of miners sitting around him. The man looked like someone who was in charge of something important, but not of this building. "My name is Art, Art Acord. I'm the mayor of this town." he continued. I grunted, which caused his smile to lessen and his voice to grow more stern. "Now a bounty hunter you maybe, but as the bounty says you gotta check with me first. If I don't like you then you ain't gonna see a single credit."

"My name is Richard. Richard Star." I said, my eyes narrowing at the prospect of my pay being whisked out from under me after walking all this damn way. I gave the room another look over. The Barkeep himself was small and weak looking, but a building this advanced had to have some kind of security, even if it was the gun he was probably holding. Then there were the miners all around me, tough strenuous work left all of them well muscled. "Like me or not, I was the only person on that shuttle that was a bounty hunter. So I hope your issue isn't serious, cause your not going to see another me for at least two months." His smile was gone now, eying me with equal amounts of consideration and distrust. "That mine is how we get our profits, but without our herds we will starve out here. I need you to kill whatever is hunting them. The damn thing flys and is smart, avoids any traps we have set out for it. Just kill the bastard and stop this bleeding to our herds." he said. This seemed simple enough. "Point me to a overlooking spot, and you will have your dead creature next time it comes here." I said. "Ohh no sir. Tha thing comes down from the mountain. You WILL go up there and kill it in its lair, and you WILL kill any youngings that thing might have. The contract was to get rid of this problem and you WILL or you ain't seeing a lick of this bounty." he said, eyes bulging with each will. I grunted at this, that is not so simple. The barkeep/mayor seemed to calm down a little. "Take care, Nulk nest up in them hills. I wish you the best of luck. Stranger." he said, and then moved on to service a group of miners. Nulk, a nasty race that never played nice with anyone else. I'm surprised I wasn't here with a bounty to wipe the Nulk out. Which means what I am after must be a serious problem, and I am going to head into Nulk territory to deal with it. Maybe I should have tried to keep on the Barkeep's good side after all.

--

This, I swear to you.

May 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sulucamas

Continuity! :D

( Fuck. Yes! )

--

May 18, 2012 at 4:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sulucamas

Seen any sign of that Inspiration Fairy lately? :3c

( pssst...I need to know what happens to Fiona! :U )

--

July 9, 2012 at 9:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sharpshot4321

For shame, making a man write stories during his vacation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I grabbed upwards for another handhold, and found it amongst the red stone.Pausing for a moment to take in the view as I rested on the side of this sheer mountain wall. The endless desert stretched out before me as the sun was rising off to the side. The small mining town below me was growing ever smaller as I continued to climb. A whole night scaling this mountain and I was maybe a third of the way up. I lurched slightly down as the new handhold first cracked, then crumbled under my grip.I grasped for another hold amongst the loose rock, only to fail and topple backwards. My back broke my fall with a loud THUD in the sand. The ledge was mostly a pool of sand with a small number of tough grasses growing out of cracks. I groaned as I slowly moved and tried to get up. The sun that was rising to the side now blared into my eyes as my head pointed towards it. I closed my eyes as my body ached too much to move my head away. I gave up trying to move for the moment, relaxing the chill of night away in the warm morning sun. The bright sun still pained my eyes till a shadow covered them, bringing me some comfort at last.

I forced my body forward, grasping for purchase in the sand and doing everything to move myself just a little fast as the snake missed me be inches. BOOM, its large body slammed into the sand with enough force to shake the entire ledge. I scrambled forward, pushing myself up against the wall as it rose up again. Sand hand, the are called. Huge snakes with a light dusty blond coloring to their scales caused them to look as if the desert itself was reaching up to snatch victims when it attempts to crush its prey. The name seemed very apt to me as it rose up, blocking out the sun again and looking no different from the sand it was resting in moments before. It came crashing down, showering rock and dust as the cliff face fell away under it as I rolled away. The entire ledge was shaking, I had to kill it fast. I reached for my rifle, only to grasp thin air as I realized that in my struggles, the rifle had come loose and now just sat there, slowly being covered in sand, on the other side of this massive snake. The snake's head slithered around to face me, hissing as it gathered itself. It lurched forward, hitting the cliff again as I jumped out of the way. I backed up as the snake continued to hiss, preparing to strike again. My heart was suddenly in my throat as I slipped backwards, my foot having found nothing but air. The snake lunged at me as I fell backwards, it slammed into the edge and with a giant crack the entire shelf started to tumble downwards. A giant snake, a pool of sand, and a ton of rock about to fall right on me, so I did the only thing my mind would let me do. My knife sprung into my hand as I jammed it into the damn snake's head. It hissed and reared, flinging me upwards as everying fell. Sand splashed into my face as I blindly grasped for anything solid, hoping that I hit the mountain instead of more falling rock.

I hanged there, my right hand gripping a hold in the mountain as I spit sand out of my mouth and tried to get it out of my eyes. After a moment I looked down to see the damn snake that had almost killed me. Again it either blended in quickly or fell too far as I couldn't see the stupid thing. It was at this moment that I realized my left arm seemed to weigh too much, and then I noticed it was holding onto the strap of my rifle. I wasn't sure if it was either pure luck or if I was so attached to the gun that I had subconsciously grabbed for it even when I thought I was going to die. I pulled the gun up and re-slung it onto my back, then tried to get the rest of the sand out of my face before continuing up. This job already seemed far more trouble then the money was worth.

--

This, I swear to you.

July 12, 2012 at 4:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sulucamas

:O  Mother of Pearl!  That was awesome!  I see what you did thar (and thar, and thar).  Thank you!

If it was that much fun to read, it had to have been a bit fun to write, so I don't feel too bad for making you write on your vacation. :P

--

July 12, 2012 at 12:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sharpshot4321

I slumped against the rocky wall, sliding down until I was sitting. The morning sun had moved to noon and the heat that was blissful after the freezing night was now sweltering and threatened to eat my hydration rations again. Resting here for a moment wouldn't kill me, but falling for exhaustion probably would. I took a moment to sort through my equipment, keep my mind from falling into sleep. My knife was missing, obviously, probably still stuck in the snake's head. Hope it pained that damn thing for a good long time. I also realized some other things were missing. A grenade, my medical kit, a ration or two, and a my small tube of MuM. I can only hope I lost most of that in the tussle with the snake, rather then pickpockets in the town. The grenade speaks for itself but civilian pain killers don't cut it in battle. So whoever found that kit is going to get more then the labels say they're getting. But the real loss was the MuM. Multi use Materials can be a life saver and can be stretched pretty far if used right. It also costs a damn fortune to get the small tube I had. The last item to check was my rifle, I un-slung it from my back, and let the wooden body rest in my hands. It wasn't really wood, but felt pretty damn close. The gun itself looked like a M1903A4, or at least that is what the gun-smith told me when I first had it checked out, but other then the shape the gun itself was deceiving. The interior was entirely gutted and replaced with modern parts. The exterior wasn't the wood or metal parts of the ancient weapon either. It looked old, but this gun packed as much punch as anything else on the market, lighter too. Once it came into my hands, I really only had to adjust it slightly to fit me, and replace a busted part, but the gun has been good to me, strong and steady. Just like he was. I picked myself up and pulled my thoughts together. I noticed the ledge I was on wound around the mountain, being something of a natural path. Sick of climbing, I starting heading up the path. Keeping my gun un-slung. I'll just shoot the next damn snake.

The path kept going and going. It stayed somewhat constant and was predictable enough to allow my mind to wonder. Letting myself think about other things during these jobs is probably one of the reasons I'm still as sane as I am. I wonder what the hell could possibly be living so high up the mountain and would purposely fly down to drag off cattle. Nothing I heard of could do it and not be caught or at least seen, but then again the universe is surprisingly full of new and ugly as sin life.Thud. I stumble backwards cursing as it stumbled and clicked. I stopped, staring at it in its dark lusterless chitin seeming so out of place in this yellow and red world. It stared right back at me, then began clicking quickly and loudly as it crouched, about to pounce. BANG! I just shot the damn thing. It fell backwards clutching at the new hole in it's chitin. BANG! Its head split apart as the rest of its body fell over the edge. I inched forward, making sure it was dead when I a sudden weight pushed me down. Another Nulk had leapt on me and now was stabbing into me. I screamed in pain, trying to think of something, anything that could get it off me when the whole world shook.

All I could hear was ringing as I looked up at the hulking mess of muscle and armor charging right at me. The Blood Lord swiped low and I flattened myself as it smashed the Nulk into the cliff face with enough force that it shattered the rock and fell right back onto me. OH SHIT. I heaved with all my might, pushing the dead Nulk off the cliff side and getting under and behind the Blood Lord as it smashed into the ledge, crushing and cracking the rocky surface. OH SHIT. It swung around, smashing into the cliff face and clouding the air with dust. BANG! Unlike the other Nulk, this one barely moved from the force. OH SHIT. I fired twice more, and it didn't even notice the bullets impacting it. Blood splattered in small spots, spitting and smoking as it ate at the rock. Blood Lords are known for two things. Their unmatched rage and their highly acidic blood, making them as deadly to hurt as being hurt by them. WHY THE FUCK AM I FIGHTING IT!?! It sent me hurtling into the cliff face, rocks cracking as I fell out of the small crater my impact created. My right shoulder felt off, I looked quickly and could see odd points in the suit. Either broken or shattered, but the suit kept me fighting for now. Soon however, I will wish I had that medical kit. The Blood Lord charged at me again, its maw open and the ground shaking. I let out a yell of my own, not like I could hear it, and tried possibly the stupidest thing I've ever done in battle. I charged the Blood Lord, barely missing its fist as It swung low. I will probably only get one shot at th... YES! My gun's tip lodged into one of the bullet holes I made. I could see the thing's blood trickle down the gun's tip, smoking. I pulled the trigger as many times as I could, and this time it jerked with every pull. At last my gun stopped recoiling as It couldn't fire anymore, and I yanked my gun free from the towering Blood Lord. It stood looking down at me, chest heaving as it seemed out of breath. It started moving towards me again. FUCKING DIE ALREADY! But it stumbled, falling forward onto a knee. Its hand darted out and stanched me, clasping me tightly. I could feel my bones groan under the pressure as the Blood Lord drew me close, again opening its maw and I could feel its breath rushing past my face as my whole body vibrated with the force of its bellow. Its grip loosened as its fell forward some more. Almost, I can wiggle free if its grip just went a little more slack... YES! I slipped free, stumbling backwards and landing on my ass in front of the Blood Lord. It shuddered and fell forward, dead at last, but not before it vomited blood as it's last act. Blood which landed right on my chest. SHIT SHIT! I tugged at my suit, trying to get it off but my chest was already searing with pain and the world was quickly turning into a blur as I slipped, rolled, and went right over the edge. Then I was alone.

--

This, I swear to you.

July 16, 2012 at 9:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sulucamas

OK, now I really see what you did thar.  Another huzzah for continuity, and again, thank you!

--

July 17, 2012 at 5:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sharpshot4321

No light, no air, no sounds, no feelings. Nothing. A day passes, or was it a month? Or a year? This crushing loneliness, this lack of anything. Nothing mattered here, not space, not time, not even me, but what was that? A distortion? A change? Snap. A SOUND! A glorious sound in this lack of existence. Snap. Snap. Snap. I had to focus, had to find the sound. It was getting louder. Snap. Snap. Snap. Snap. I almost had it, almost found it. Then I found feeling as well, all of it pain. Blinding pain. Engulfing pain. I had found a existence, and all it had was pain. The pain pushed me back down, away from the sound, and soon I was left alone in the darkness once more.

I jolted up, and immediately gnashed my teeth together as me whole body shook with pain. My right shoulder seared constantly with aches, and my chest pounded with every beat of my heart. It was pitch black, and I couldn't move. All I could tell from feel alone, was that I was on something soft, and I had a blanket covering me. Keeping my eyes open was hard. The pain pushed me constantly toward unconsciousness. I had to get up, I needed to. I tried, and was engulfed in pain waves of pain, pushing and pulling my mind apart until everything faded away. I woke up to the sun shining into the cave. My shoulder still hurt, but not as badly, and my chest, which I now saw was heavily bandaged, still throbbed. The shadows on the cave wall danced, and I looked over to see someone entering the cave. A young girl, couldn't be more then 19. Olive complexion with black hair, and dressed in simple work clothes while carrying a bowl. She must be some miner's daughter. Figures I would spend a whole day climbing the mountain only to end up at the bottom of it. Her lips moved, but her voice seemed muffled and distant. I couldn't make out a word she said and after telling her to repeat herself a few times I just said my hearing was too damaged. She nodded and offered my a bowl, steam rose from it and I could smell the food in it. I tried to reach for the bowl, but was stopped as everything throbbed with waves of pain again. She quickly pushed me back down, being careful to avoid my injuries but seemed surprisingly strong for her figure. After I had settled down she started to hand feed me. I'd feel more embarrassed about how low I had sunk if I didn't feel so damn lucky for being alive at all. After she was doing feeding me, she left quickly. I was too drowsy to make a fuss, and fell asleep. This largely was how the next week went. My hearing improved decently, and I was able to understand her quickly enough, but we spoke almost nothing to each other. This seemed more from her not wanting to scream at the top of her lungs for me to understand her then any desire to avoid my company.

This morning she came in as usual, another bowl of soup in her hands. "Good morning." She said. "Morning." I replied. Her voiced was still muffled, but at least she didn't seem to be yelling her words at me. "Your hearing has improved remarkably fast, then again I'm surprised your able to hear at all after the state I found you in" she said. I just grunted, slowly eating the food as she spooned it to me. I hated how disabled my injuries were making me. My suit. My medical kit. Either would at least have me walking at this point. With both gone I will be stuck in this bed for months. She finished feeding me and set the bowl aside. “I'm going to need to change the bandages now. I doubled up on the painkillers in your meal but this will still probably hurt you.” she said, pulling out fresh cloth out of a basket. “Err, do you have to do that?” I asked. Other then the sheet and the bandages, I had nothing else on. I've been treated by women before, but that doesn't stop me from trying to maintain some decency. “Oh?” She folds her arms and puffs out. “Am I too boring after seeing only me for a week?” “Not that I don't appreciate keeping me alive and all, but can't your father or some other guy do this?” I tried to gesture at myself, only to wince and have her give me a stern look till I settled. “Nobody else will help you. In-fact they all wanted me to just drop you and let you die when you arrived. Still want to throw you out.” She finished pulling cloth out and set it down as she stood. “While I am at it, you need to be washed. Blood and sweat are not the best smells to deal with while I'm feeding you.” She walked out of the cave as I groaned at that.

So everyone wants me dead and left to rot. Not the first time that's happened. I chuckled at that, only to wince halfway through as the girl returned with a larger bowl which had steam flowing out from it. She gently moved me out of the bed and onto a clean sheet. Which means it hurt like hell. Trying to keep my mind off the pain and the fact I was completely naked. I focused on talking. “So” hiss “If everyone wants me dead, why does your family let you tend to me?” I was again surprised by how strong she is. I'm not overweight but I'm not light either. She looks petite but is holding me down without any trouble. “My family is gone. I'm old enough to take care of myself and this cave is mine so I can do whatever I want in it.” she raised her voice at the end, speaking to someone who apparently is listening in. I saw light flicker on the walls. “There.” She said, cleaning the bed. “Now we can have some privacy while we talk.”

“So does everyone get the death sentence when injured or just strangers to the town?” I asked as she finished with the bed and moved on to me. “Resources are pretty scarce here. More so now then ever. Caring for you is taking food and supplies we may need in a few months.” She scrubbed hard and I am trying my best to ignore this whole situation. “I know your cattle are being taken but the town didn't look, hrg, that desperate.” My injuries stung where she scrubbed too close. She gave me a quizzical look, then continued to scrub. “Fine, so you're desperate. Then why did you save me, against everyone else.” “You would have died. Do I need more reason?” she starts to remove the bandages. I stare at her while she works, then close my eyes. “... Thanks.” I opened them to see my injuries un-bandaged. I think my heart stopped.

My chest was gaping. I had more muscle then skin left... and bones. I could see my own bones. “Hey, HEY!” she grabbed hold of my head and forced me to look at her. “You are on very powerful medications. You will be fine. Trust me.” She talked stern and calmly, keeping hold of me despite my struggles. I finnaly calmed down some, and she let go. I closed my eyes and kept them that way. BONES. In this dump of a planet infection alone would do me off. If she was right about medications being good enough to heal this... then that stuff alone would be worth more then the town itself on a planet like this. Why would she use that... on me? She could get a ticket off this planet with that. “Hey.” She shook me gentle, jarring me out of my thoughts. I was so out of it I didn't even notice she had finished. “Shock or no shock. This will be easier if you work with me.” She pulled me up and put me back into the clean bed. Pain forced me away from thinking about my injuries. Once I had settled, she gathered her things and began to leave. The painkillers, no longer competing with the pain, now threatened to put me to sleep. “Hey!” I called out, stopping her just before she rounded to turn. “Could I at least get the name of my savior?” She looked at me for a bit, then smiled. “It's Fiona.” Then turned and walked out.

--

This, I swear to you.

January 29, 2013 at 12:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sulucamas

D'awww, that Blood Lord may have destroyed his chest, but it didn't destroy his heart. :3c

Thanks for writing!

--

January 29, 2013 at 6:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sharpshot4321

I woke up to the sun shining into my eyes. Getting up and stretching, rubbing out the sore kinks from sleeping on this makeshift pile of blankets. I rearranged the piles as best I could before hurrying out. Lilith was kind enough to give me that spot to sleep, after my cave being used by him. She is probably the only person who could give me something like that without gaining the ire of everyone else, not while she is expecting. Everyone has become irritated and short tempered after what I did, but I couldn't leave him there. The stench of acid eating flesh and metal will haunt me... is haunting me. Cleaning myself up as best as I could at the little stream, and quickly gathering what little I was allowed to use. It was best to do this early, before anyone else had woken up. Far less glares and disappointed stares that way. I grabbed my bag of berries and began to cook his food. The aroma made my stomach growl, and I popped a few berries to quiet it. This was probably the worst part of every day. That I ate these horrible tasting berries while cooking food someone else brought in for him. His recovery has been fast, even with the stuff I add to his meals. Everyone is affected a little differently by it, and that I use it on an outsider has probably put me close to being exiled. Even when he leaves, I doubt my life here will be the same ever again.

I finished cooking the meal and moved towards my cave. Others were coming out now and I hurried before someone noticed me. At least they stopped having someone guard and listen into my cave every day, only took a month. He was awake as I walked in. He was always awake when I came and I wasn't sure if he was just an early riser of if he really woke whenever he heard me enter. I handed him his food and he started eating.He seemed as happy as I was that he no longer needed me to spoon feed him daily. I continued watched him eat and soon enough my stomach growled as it complained. He stopped eating, and set the plate down as he looked at me. "You shouldn't starve yourself. Especially if the others are stopping you from getting much." he said staring at me intently. I could only shake my head. "I'm not the one stuck in a bed everyday." I looked right back at him while the food just sat there. Am I really this tempted to take food from an injured man? He went back to his meal and was finished soon enough."Alright, Time to get you on your feet."

I took hold of him and helped him up. He leaned on me, not that he needed help standing but that spasms still gripped him from his wounds. I helped him walk around the cave a few times. It wasn't very big and it was apparent he was growing tired of these surroundings. "So, do I ever get to see sunlight again or would your town shoot me on sight?" he asked, walking very well on his own. His spasms have really gone down over the past few weeks. I grimaced and pursed my lips. "I suppose now is as good as a time as any. I just hope your ready for their... attitude." I was not looking forward to this, but this keg had to blow sooner or later. I just hope that this doesn't cause them to get even worse. I prepared myself and looked up, ready as I can be, as we stepped into the sunlight.

--

This, I swear to you.

January 30, 2013 at 2:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sulucamas

Fight!  Fight!  Fight!  Fight!

Don't blow that powder keg on the recently invalid! Dx

--

January 31, 2013 at 2:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sharpshot4321

Three things stuck me as I left the cave that had been my world for the last few months. First, this was not the mining village. We were in a little valley of sorts, A small stream trickled down one of the walls into a small pool. There were several other caves dotting the walls, but no houses or structures. The mountain continued to its lofty heights above. Second, everyone looked the same. Not literally but close enough. Same complexion, same hair, same height. Hell, I bet if I looked close enough they probably all have the same eye color. Lastly, was the look I got from everyone. I've been to a fair share of backwater planets. Largely isolated towns grow extremely distrustful of outsides, if not outright violent, but here? Half of them looked like they were ready kill me on the spot, the others looked at me like I was some vile monstrosity that killed their children and dragged them through the... Dirt path? For having medicine advanced enough to save me. The fact I was alive right now proved that. This place was beyond fucking primitive. Caves for homes, rusty metal and stone tools, is that a god damn bone necklace? I would more easily believe this is some native species that had achieved stone age rather then humans who lived like this. Towns like the one at the foot of this mountain will sometimes take great pains to hide their technology. Both to not be a shiny target and to 'fallow the ways of their forefathers.' or some crap.

Fiona pulled me to the side, away from a majority of the people I could see. Which wasn't much. There couldn't be more the 20 people based on the number of caves. An elderly lady was spitting curses at me as we passed her. I wished it was figuratively but her spit was slowly working its way down the side of my face. As soon as we got around a turn and were on a small winding path down the mountain I wiped my face vigorously with my sleeve. "By the twin suns! Did I bleed all over someone's kid when you brought me here?" A spasm hit me, forcing my weight onto her shoulder. She forced me to sit down on rock. She sat down as well and sighed. "Strangers are not welcome here normally, but around the time I found you, a pair of our numbers went missing." She stared out to the rising sun. The view from this high up was nice, and the breeze kept the morning sun from becoming uncomfortable. "And they think I killed them? You didn't bring me here with a bullet wound and their heads." I looked away from the spanning desert to look at her. So two people went missing, and they blamed the new guy. Wish this was the first time. "They would laugh off the idea any other day. Your not the first to climb this high. We know this mountain very well and can keep hidden, or... remove threats without much risk." she kept looking out to the expanse. "But you killed a Blood Lord. By yourself." I laughed at that. First laugh I had in months. "What I did by myself was have a biggest dumb luck this side of the system." She gave me a sever look. "Dumb luck still let you kill a Blood Lord. Everyone is stressed and scared. And you!... and I didn't help" Her look softened. Her saddened gaze went back out to the view. I looked away, watching a bird of some sort fly below us. "You regret bringing me." "No!" Her voice filled with anger "What I regret is... is. Is only finding you." she deflated back into sadness. We remained like that for a while. The sun rose to midday before either of us said anything. "By now they are probably dead, if they haven't been found." I said. She shook her head. "Not necessarily. As I said, we know this mountain well. If they one of them got injured far enough away from us, they could survive on their own, maybe even better then us if the herds moved to the far side of the mountain." By this point she had grabbed a hand full of gravel and was flicking the small pebbles over the edge. I groaned inwards. Fuck I hate my conscience sometimes. "Then I might as well help the search." She just stared at me. Dumbfounded. "What? My injures are healing well, and I sure as hell can't wonder the mountain alone with all of my gear gone or destroyed." Plus. If I can find that flying thing's cave... Art may give me something for its location, if not it's head. She just smiled and hugged me. "Hey hey!" Damn that makes my chest sting, but she just kept hanging onto me, and I felt something wet hit my shoulder.

--

This, I swear to you.

February 3, 2013 at 10:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sulucamas

Mr. Star!  Be the guy; do the thing!  ReDEEM yourself!

( I'm really sorry for this, but the first thing I though of when something wet hit his shoulder was a bird dropping. :P )

Thanks as always for writing more!

--

March 1, 2013 at 5:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.