A place to roleplay in the Last Res0rt RPG

Jump into the world of Last Res0rt, just be careful where you land...or what you land as...

Roleplay Forum

Forum Home > Game Room 2 > Skills

Sulucamas

Skills (or colloquially, Skillz) will be present to facilitate situations that warrant more than a simple stat check.  Although there could possibly be an infinite number of skills, for the sake of concentrating our future efforts we should attempt to compile a definitive list of skills that will be used in the game.

Please list the skills you would like to nominate for this list.  The nomination and deliberation processes will be ongoing.

--

Calyx:  "Welcome to the PARTY!"

February 7, 2013 at 12:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

The_Rippy_One

Well, the ball needs to start rolling somewhere:

Athletics - Feats of strength, either on the ground or under the water. Long distance running, lifting heavy loads, swimming to great depths. This skill is also used as a fallback skill for general skilled physical execrtion, such as sports.

Acrobatics - Physical exertion in the air, and careful full body motion. Long jumps, flips, rolls and dives, balancing on limtied areas, dance, and contortions.

Knowledge: A sectioned skill - it may be taken multiple times, with a different focus each time. This skill governs the awareness and use of a certain body of information, such as the ancient history of a culture, or a particular branch of science. With few exceptions, these skills are not intended for combat situations, or to be actively used - for example, Engineereing is not a Knowledge, but a Craft. The most common exceptions are physics, mathematics, and architecture, which are useful for things like indirect fire and demolition. Less commonly, psychology and sociology are used in an active fashion to assist in diplomacy efforts.

Craft: A sectioned skill - it may be taken multiple times, with a different focus each time. A Craft skill is related to a formal, long term activity, traditionally an action that could be used to make a living, and generally produces some tangible result.

Casting: The skill of effectively using soul strength through soul shards to make spells work. This skill is critical to casting more advanced forms of magic.

Use Vehicle: A sectioned skill - it may be taken multiple times, with a different focus each time. This skill applies to operating a vehicle for its intended purpose. This skill has little bearing on successfully navigating to a given location, though it does improve an operator's capacity to make use of clear directions.

Obsfucation: The subtle skill of hidden movements and misdirection. Hiding in shadows, sleight of hand, lying, disguise, non-magical illusions, drawing attention or blending in, and tailing another person. This skill may be used in conjunction with various artistic Craft skills to produce misleading effects (such as creating an effective red herring in a novel or play, or a Trompe l'oeil visual work).

--

I'm wrong! So very wrong! But, perhaps, not entirely incorrect...

February 8, 2013 at 5:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ganti

I think Rippy nailed most of them. Only one other I can think to add...

Investigation: It's what a detective does. Something of a counter to Obsfucation, it's your skill at finding things out, up to and including forsnic detective work. 

--

"Though the sky may fall, and the Earth may be torn assunder, I will see justice done."~Cledwyn Vimes.

February 8, 2013 at 11:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The_Rippy_One

Oops. I did miss at least one (and I know we came up with more in the brainstorm).

Apothecary: The creation and use of medicines. Also governs the creation and use of posions.

-Not sure if it should also include the diagnosis and treatment of injuries, or if that ought to be Craft: Doctor.

Of course, this also skipped the armor and weapon skills...so...8 more, at least?

--

February 9, 2013 at 1:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ganti

Ooh, you did miss the combat trees.

Melee Weapons

Ranged weapons

Armors?

--

"Though the sky may fall, and the Earth may be torn assunder, I will see justice done."~Cledwyn Vimes.

February 9, 2013 at 2:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

The_Rippy_One

Ganti at February 9, 2013 at 2:34 AM

Ooh, you did miss the combat trees.

Melee Weapons

Ranged weapons

Armors?

I sort of thought we wouldn't need to enumerate, but maybe we do?

Okay - easy stuff

unarmed

Armor

Nano-armor

complicated stuff

Melee Weapons -or- 1 handed weapons and 2 handed weapons -or- Finess weapons and Force Weapons -or- by weapon type

Armor - do we do it by grade (light, medium heavy) or assume you can just wear heavier by advancing the tree, or not worry about it at all?

--

February 12, 2013 at 12:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

The_Rippy_One

d'oh

also, complicated

Firearms -or- small arms and large arms -or- energy and projectile and muscle-powered (bows)

--

February 12, 2013 at 1:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

e_voyager

would aim and stready hand be a skill ? i think those are normales dealt with via sight and dex checks

--

"I would rip out my soul to know the truth of the universe" Vlad Ellis

"All humans are an imitation of apes. All gods are an imitation of humans" Zangetsu

"this world is not my own but how i wish that i could belong" e voyager

"The Bird of hermes is my name. Eating my wings to keep me tame." Alucard's coffin. the key to zero release when spoken.

February 13, 2013 at 11:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The_Rippy_One

I'd take them to be a turn mechanic, and a feat...which we don't have...  :P  ...Aiming....something like, shoot, where are those notes on what constitutes a turn...its a complex, a simple, and a move, right? Okay, aim starts out using up the complex, nets a +2 to hit (of course, you can only follow up with an simple action - single pull of the trigger, most likely). If we use the Caster skill as a basis, we can make aiming the quasi-equivelant of overboosting - make it a simple action if you are an Expert, or a move equivalent as a Master, as an addition to what ever the skill get's you per level. That let's your Experts move and provide accurate cover fire, and your Master's run and gun, or stand and declare bullet storm.

I actually think we have an aim action...someone will correct me.

Don't know what to tell you about "stead hands" - it feels like a natural aptitude, instead of something you can train in. This system doesn't do natural aptitudes. so...no luck nor love on that front.

--

February 14, 2013 at 1:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

e_voyager

steady hands and in the ability to to exorcise finite control over you hands when doing something requiring high or fine dexterity like surgery  or cleaning and archaeological find. or even hitting a target with a thrown projectile

--

"I would rip out my soul to know the truth of the universe" Vlad Ellis

"All humans are an imitation of apes. All gods are an imitation of humans" Zangetsu

"this world is not my own but how i wish that i could belong" e voyager

"The Bird of hermes is my name. Eating my wings to keep me tame." Alucard's coffin. the key to zero release when spoken.

February 15, 2013 at 11:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The_Rippy_One

e_voyager at February 15, 2013 at 11:55 PM

steady hands and in the ability to to exorcise finite control over you hands when doing something requiring high or fine dexterity like surgery  or cleaning and archaeological find. or even hitting a target with a thrown projectile

As written, this skill would also cover acts of juggling and lock-picking, correct? This may be  the most jack-of-all trades skill ever :) . And here I was feeling bad about sticking dance in Acrobatics.. ;) .

My problem was the name implied that this skill overlapped several others (something like a plus to hand-based, finess-based (?) rolls), Firearms especially, and created a doubling effect - but if you are careful in your definition, I don't see a problem (not sure if I'm happy to see a combat skill in the midst of all that utility, but it does solve the issue of how to wrangle that aspect. Opinions, everyone?).

--

February 16, 2013 at 4:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sulucamas

Here's a much-delayed list of Skillz brainstormed at the group meeting on February 20, 2013.  It uses Sharpshot's new skill tree system, which assigns a skill tree (Untrained to Master) to nearly all of the Refinement Stats, and places individual skills as purchasables at different points on those trees.

Int/Wis:

Investigation

Deduction

Computer Use

Hacking

Engineering

Crafting

Pilot Starcraft

General Pilot Vehicles

Professions

Music

Charisma

Medical examination

Ship's weapons

Poison

Nano Armor

Power Armor

Knowledge/Profession/Craft

Char/Comm:

Leadership

Music

Perform

Deception/Bluff/Diplomacy

Intimidate

Disguise

Handsigns

Force/Finesse:

Athletics

Melee Combat

Handmade crafts

Ranged Combat

Lockpicking

Throwing weapons

Light Armor

Armor

Swimming

Climbing

Running

Handsigns

Speed/Agility:

Dance

Tumble

Balance

Acrobatics

Slight of Hand

Dodge

Combat Run

Ride Bike

Ride Horse/Slave

React

Melee Combat

Health/Hardiness:

Endurance

Resistance

Resistance to Individual Poisons

Illness Resistance

Endure Heavy Loads

Squeezing bullets out with muscles

Endure Pain

Give Birth

Marathons

Muscle Control

--

Calyx:  "Welcome to the PARTY!"

February 26, 2013 at 12:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

The_Rippy_One

Okay, Stealth and/or Hide seems to be missing. Was that INT-based, or AGI?

Soul Tree needs to be explained (or decided on...). Also, resistance to mind magics and illusions - is it Wis/Sense based, or do we make those two nodes in this tree...

--

February 26, 2013 at 2:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The_Rippy_One

Also, Traps. That's pretty clearly Int/Wis tree. (Int rolls to make them, Wis rolls to not fall into the obvious ones...)

and Concentration - one of our few probable wis rolls...

--

February 26, 2013 at 6:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The_Rippy_One

Sorry, brain won't shut up -

Skills for the Soul Tree!

Nodes for the Magic stat!

2 of them, to be precise - unless you want to make them wisdom things. Tone Resistance, and Illusion Discernment (there has to be a better way to put that). Untrained, you can't do the former, though the latter might be fought with logic or emotion. Don't know, what do you all think?

--

February 27, 2013 at 5:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The_Rippy_One

On the crafting of int based blueprints

so to sum Crafting (int) is based on blueprints. Creating a blueprint takes a roll of 1d6 per level (starting at 0) + int, against a challange based on the blueprints quality. The blueprint's quality also defines the duration it takes to make (30 minutes to one month)*1d6/2, rounded up. The time frame may be reduced by beating the target by a multiple of 4. (so, beat by 4, one time duration reduction, beat by 8, 2 time reductions, and so on. Lowest is minutes)

quality cr are 4, 9, 13, 17, 21, times are 30 minutes, hour, day, week, month

--

February 28, 2013 at 12:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

The_Rippy_One

Blueprinting revisions:

To clarify: Level is Tree level, not character level.

The time reduction has been redefined - time reduces by one half it's intial value[interval *1d6/2], for every 4 values over the challenge rating the roll excceds. This value minimizes to no less than the next lowest base interval value, so a Master blueprint may not be made in less than one week, and an Expert can't take less than a day to write up.

Finally, this process uses a WISDOM ROLL, not an Intelligence one, This is also true of all profession rolls.

Next, Using the dumb things :)

When a blueprint is found instead of made, a straight wisdom check is made to understand it so it can be used. It's assumed that this is a basic check, and that the appropriate crafting node supports it. -This point will be clarified next meeting-

Actually building something is an INT roll. Currently proposed, there is a single main roll by the builder against the blueprint's original challenge rating, plus 4, vs (tree level)d6+INT. Base times are increased or decreased by the same measure of failure or success, and affect build times by 20% (-this % is being debated-), associated with the same time increments. Under normal circumstances, it is not possible to fail to build something in this scenario. A design's final build time may not be less than the next lowest level, and may not maximize to more than two times the next highest time increment (untrained may minimize to 15 minutes).  

Ergo: An untrained blueprint has a cr of 8 (4+4), normally. If the roll comes in at 7, it takes 20% longer, and if the roll comes in at 3, it takes 40% longer. Untrained plans have a base increment of 30 minutes, so 36 or 42 minutes to completely, following the above examples. The least amount of time it could take is 15 minutes, and the most it could take is 2 hours.

Master blueprints would take no less than 2 weeks to construct, and no more than one year.

-Still under debate-

Minion mechanics. Int-based crafting is thought to be "industrial" in nature, lending itself to group efforts, automation, and assembly lines. These will be discussed next meeting.

--

March 8, 2013 at 5:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ganti

Okay! Refined crafting and inventing. Both take the same CR for the apropriate level (4, 9, 13, 17, 21), and the same time units (30 minutes, hours, days, weeks, months). The time units start at Three of the proper one, so an untrained blueprint takes 90 Minutes. This can be reduced or expanded by three steps, no more. So a Master grade blueprint could be anywhere from three weeks to six months, depending on roll and modifiers.

The Roll is (Tree Level)d6+Int+Minions for crafting and (Tree Level)d6+Wis for inventing.

Minions provide a flat +1 bonus for the unskilled, +2 for the average, and possibly more for the highly trained. The Game Master has complete control over what the bonus for the highly trained minions is, and how availible any minions are. The unskilled are generally availible, barring GM ruling otherwise. Such should be extra-ordinary circumstances, however.

A set of quick examples:

A Master engineer with an Int of 10, and five assistants, two of which are untrained interns the rest being basic labhands is attempting to make a Master-class object.  They roll 4d6+10+8 VS a CR of 21. As the lowest roll possible is 4, which leads to a 22, they cannot have any increase in time. They could, however, decrease the time taken to three weeks by rolling a 12 or higher.

On the other end of the spectrum, an adept with an int of 4 and no aid is attempting to construct an adept-class object. They would roll 2d6+4 VS 13. They cannot reduce the time any as the maximum they can achive is 16, when 17 is needed for a time reduction. They can, however, roll a two, which gives them six.... leading to a time EXTENTION... So it would take four days to make.

--

March 13, 2013 at 11:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.